Patching an Old HVAC System
About Me
Patching an Old HVAC System

When I married my husband ten years ago, I reluctantly agreed to move into the older brick home he already owned. I knew the house was outdated. Unfortunately, I didn’t have any experience renovating an older place. Immediately, I noticed the old central air conditioning unit in the home. After thoroughly inspecting the equipment, I was afraid the ancient unit wouldn’t make it through my first summer in my new place. Thankfully, I was wrong. After ten years, this same air conditioning system is still running smoothly. However, it has received some diligent care from a reputable HVAC contractor over the years. On this blog, you will discover the ways an HVAC contractor can restore an older air conditioning unit.

Archive
Tags

Patching an Old HVAC System

Four Mistakes That Could Be Putting You At Risk For Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Mary Gonzalez

Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer for a reason. Often, people are unaware that they or a family member are being exposed to this gas until it's too late. Installing carbon monoxide detectors in your home is a good first preventative step, but you should also avoid these common mistakes so you don't put yourself at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Mistake #1: Putting the carbon monoxide detector in the wrong place.

Many people assume that if the furnace is in the basement, the carbon monoxide detector should be there, too. However, experts actually recommend placing a detector in each bedroom, and having at least one on every level in the home. With the detector in your bedroom, you'll be almost guaranteed to hear it if it goes off at night. If you only have one in your basement, you may not hear it – and you might succumb to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Mistake #2: Attempting your own furnace repairs.

Yes, you might save some cash by attempting to repair your furnace or ventilation pipes yourself, but is saving a few hundred dollars worth risking your life? Heating appliances must be carefully installed according to manufacturer's instructions to ensure the exhaust (which contains carbon monoxide) does not leak into your home. Always hire an HVAC professional like one from Perry Heating Cooling when your furnace or the associated chimneys, flues, and vents need work.

Mistake #3: Not checking the chimney before you begin using a wood-burning stove or fireplace.

Carbon monoxide is not just generated when natural gas and oil are burned – burning wood generates it, too. If you are not careful to check that your chimney is clear before burning wood, the smoke may accumulate in your home and expose you to carbon monoxide. It does not even have to be terribly smoky in your home for the levels of carbon monoxide to rise into the dangerous zone. Have your chimney cleaned regularly by a qualified chimney sweep, too, as buildup of creosote in the walls of the chimney may lead to increased carbon monoxide production.

Mistake #4: Using portable heating equipment inside.

When the furnace goes out and you're awaiting repairs, it may be tempting to bring in your camp stove or portable heater and use it to warm your home. However, these devices are not designed for indoor use – they don't vent properly and will expose you to carbon monoxide. If your heater goes out, use an electric space heater only.

You would never knowingly put your own life or your loved one's life at risk due to carbon monoxide exposure. By avoiding the mistakes above, you ensure you don't accidentally create this risk, either.  


Share